My writing journey...

 

Please, Don't Judge...

My decision to go the non-traditional route to publishing.


This week was bitter sweet. I know that there is some strong bias out there about non-traditional route to publishing, but in the end, I did what I thought was best for me. I am being vulnerable and putting myself out there in a way that I've never done before. Please bear with me...and be kind. Whichever route you choose, I hope you have a ton of supporters.

This is my story. I hope it is helpful to someone out there. Maybe this will give you the push you need in either direction, to move forward. I hope you will follow me through my process and my thoughts.


After querying, many times, I made the decision to go non-traditional. Not to insult any readers, but traditional route is query to an agent. Sending full and partial manuscripts to those who like your work. Then if they have room on their list for you, you sign with and agent. The agent works for you with publishers to get your work out into the world. That would have been my first choice.

 

Then, you have self-publish. You publish, market, and edit for yourself. No one will love your work more, you are your own advocate. You get the word out there and you do the work. For me, with a full time job and family, this wasn't an option.

 

So, I pushed forward and queried. I sent in sample of my work. And queried. And sent in full manuscripts. It was exciting and scary wrapped up together. I loved the process, but I didn't get chosen to be on anyone's list. I waited. I researched. I sent out my work.

 

Then, I get a call. I look them up. I see the good and the bad. In the end, I had to choose for myself what was best for me.

 

Last week, I called, texted, and emailed. I thought. I thought some more.

 

Friday, I spoke on the phone with Ian. He was pleasant and kind, but not pushy. He just gave me the information. I know the risks. I know I will be judged for my route and my work. (Believe me, that isn't easy for me. I am sort of a people pleaser and putting myself out there is so scary for me. I internalize each and every negative and barely notice the positive. I’m going to have to work myself up into a good space…I know how had it’s going to be for me.) I told him I needed to talk to my husband. My husband is my rock and my sounding board. We talked. He researched. He read. He looked over the website. I asked, “What do you think?” He said he agreed with something written on the website about just letting the work sit on the shelf. His thought was for me to move forward.

 

Saturday, we went to visit my son in Houston. Well, Brenham. He had a birthday, and we went to visit him. We took him to shop for a couple of things he needed for school. We got separated in the store and I accidentally texted Ian. With that little accident, I texted a promise to text him more soon.

 

Saturday evening, I texted and we planned for a call on Sunday.

 

Sunday, I called and said I was ready to move forward with the process. We talked. Sketched out a little plan and the contract for publishing came in my inbox.

 

Monday, I spoke with Josh and electronically signed my publishing agreement. I walked into my boss’s office and smiled. She knew something was up and asked, “what?” since she is like one of a hand full of people who even know I write, I told her about my decision. (She had asked me once before why I didn’t self-publish. I told her I wanted to give this a try. She understood.) She congratulated me and at that moment it felt real. I am really going to do this thing. I am working with Calumet Editions and I am excited to see where this process takes me.

 

Thank you to all my supporters. I couldn’t do it without you.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sangre Cove

Distinguished Favorite

            I was excited to be selected as a Distinguished Favorite by The Independent Press Awards.